Sunday

Cheaper, Greener, Healthier: Sunscreen

Helloooo Summer!

I love the heat. The hotter the better. I don't mind sweating it out or roasting in the sun. It's all a part of the beauty of summertime! {Though I will admit I would be happier without the humidity in Ontario, but what can ya do?}

Sadly this summer I don't think I'll be outside soaking in that sunlight as much as I usually would be. For one, I'm a little trapped where I am here at home {living next to a highway with not neighbourhood} And for two, keeping Sugar out of the intense sunlight until he's old enough for sunscreen is of utmost importance....and its just WAAAYY to hot out there to dress him all up.

{Our Sugar with his new 'keep the sun off my head' bandana}

DaddyOat can't seen to keep himself indoors for more than enough time to eat and sleep! He's worked very diligently on our fabulous garden, spending hours out there working away. And to top it off, as of today he has started working with a friend of ours on his farm where last year I worked their fruit & veggie stand. {LOVED that job!}

Now you think, being the healthy, responsible, people we 'pretend' to be DaddyOat would have been really keen on protecting his skin...however all this time outdoors has amounted to some pretty intense sunburns...I mean a sunburn so bad he blistered on all of his shoulders.

It was tough to choose to wear any of the commercial sunscreens which have been linked to so many horrible health issues...but after this absolutely terrible sunburn {He looked like a leper, seriously} we decided it was time to start investigating sunscreens and find one that we would feel safe using on ourselves and Sugar {when he can wear it}

After much searching I came across...{drumroll please}

Green Beaver Sunscreen



Whys & Whats:
First of all, Green Beaver rates a whopping '1' rating on Skin Deep. {That's a good thing}
Also, most of the ingredients are certified organic and its Canadian made!

Our Assessment:
For DaddyOat it wasn't the greatest. He sweat so much working out in the field that he would sweat off the sunscreen. The the parts where he put sunscreen as opposed to the spots that didn't, it obviously worked. If you weren't doing hard labour like him, it may work better.
On top of all that the biggest downside to this product, like anything organic or 'good for you' is the price. At $20 for 90ml its one of those purchases you have to grin and bear it.
We won't buy this product again due to the amount DaddyOat would have to use to keep his skin safe and the cost it would be to have that much in our cupboard.

Thus, the hunt begins on my part to find a good DIY sunscreen recipe.



2 comments:

  1. Oh gracious, he's so stinkin' adorable! He reminds me a lot of Isaac, with his great big eyes :) I love him so much and I haven't even met him yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth is right with the eyes! I didn't see that till I read your comment. Can't wait to see him (& you 2) next weekend!
    If you happen to come up with a good sunscreen recipe I would LOVE to have it! Evie's little tube was $16 so she is the only one who uses it & it works great on her, now to find something for Jason & I.

    ReplyDelete

love hearing from ya!