Monday

Cheaper, Greener, Healthier: Recipe

Had this last night for dinner with a few friends...


Eggplant Veggie Burger

1 eggplant - peeled and cut into small cubes
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
cumin, basil, garlic, salt & pepper
Olive oil

Directions: In a frying pan cook the eggplant until grey and VERY soft.
Then in a large bowl mix everything together (spices to your taste, they really depend on the size of the eggplant you use)
Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
Heat oil on a frying pan.
Take a handful of mix and form into patties (makes anywhere from 4 to 5)
Place on frying pan and cook until browned on each side.

Whys & Whats: Eggplants are super great for your health. They are high in fibre, have tons of antioxidants, and lots of other great health benefits. (Read more here)

Our Assessment: Like I said, I served this last night for dinner to a few friends. They loved it. In fact they are the reason I am sharing this recipe. One compared it to Thanksgiving stuffing. I haven't tried freezing these yet, my next batch I plan on making a lot and freezing some. My guess is that they should be okay.
Also, I wouldn't recommend grilling these on the BBQ. They can be rather delicate. I would also suggest flouring your hands when forming the patties to give them just a little more protection against sticking to the frying pan.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmm eggplant! Will be trying it. But alas, I do terribly with delicate things in a frying pan. Sigh. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

love hearing from ya!