Tuesday

Thou Shalt Not Covet

There are plenty of reasons to dislike facebook {and yet we all keep using it}. Really and truly I enjoy facebook, I like knowing what my friends and acquaintances are up to, and I also enjoy being able to comment and talk to them about what is going on in their life, whereas without facebook, I might not ever even see or talk to them for months on end. Now don't get me wrong, facebook cannot and does not replace face to face time with friends and family, but in this life its hard to make time for those nearest and dearest to you let alone those who are not quite so near and dear.

But that's not what this is about. This post is about my struggle with facebook. It's not about how much time I spend on it or neglecting Sugar or DaddyOat for facebook time. Rather facebook has the ability to make me discontent, jealous and covetous.

Facebook makes it seem like everyones life is an everyday adventure. From status updates to photos it seems like all people do is go travelling, go to the cabin for a party weekend, go snowboarding, hiking, to a concert, a party, etc. Etc. Of course, I know everyone isn't doing these things everyday, but I find people really only post the 'highlights' of their life on facebook. And for me, as I read through status' and look through others photos, I start feeling discontent with my life and covetous others lives.

Now if someone were to look through my facebook photos they would conclude I did nothing more than travel, hike, camp, drive in snow storms, pick berries and spent an odd amount of time around chicken related things.

I have no reason to be discontent with my life or covetous of others. God has blessed me with opportunities for adventures I couldn't have even dreamed of. But in between 'adventures' there is alot of ordinary everyday 'down time' that isn't so exciting or fabulous. And for some reason I find it hard to believe that the people I encounter on facebook have that 'down time' – its hard to look at their status' and albums and believe that this person ever lives a boring moment. And so the covetous feeling sets in as does discontentment.

It would be wonderful if I could spend a day in everyone's shoes because I know I'd learn the truth of the matter...that everyone has ordinary everydays most of the time. But moreso, I wish I could begin to see my ordinary everydays as my real adventure...and the adventures in between are just bonuses. Because, isn't that the reality of this whole thing?

* * *

I'm curious, does anyone else struggle like this?



3 comments:

  1. haha as a matter of fact, I catch myself looking at you and mat that way! You research and have recipes for making just about anything i can think of (toothpaste, laundry soap etc) and I see you guys making such an effort to live au natural. hahaha i look at beth the same way too. I feel like i'm lucky if i can get the time to boil some pasta let alone make toothpaste.. But I'm aware that the way I feel isn't really the way things are and I DO have the time to do some of those things. (I gave my spice rack a facelift recently!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Les.
    There are plenty of days when I can barely boil pasta either...actually, I'm lucky if I can get the pot out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, I'm humbled and a little ashamed of myself that I might present myself that way, even accidentally. I posted last night on my blog about some stuff that I hope is encouraging to you both. I certainly don't have it all together. Both of your babies are still so little... I find I really have to be careful about my expectations in the first year of my babies' lives... because babies are so high-maintenance :) How I spend my time is another part of it too, and that's why I deleted my FB account, along with a few other things. Lots to think about here! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete

love hearing from ya!