Saturday

Cheaper, Greener, Healthier - Recpie

Since Mat has begun to limit his intake of sodium & we've both sought to avoid processed foods, breakfast has become one of our more challenging meals.
Cereal has artificial flavors & preservatives
Bagels, breads have a lot of salt
Most instant oatmeal is loaded with sugars
And the other healthy alternatives aren't always quick & easy to grab & eat when you are rushing out the door.

So the best thing I've found is to make muffins - something I can limit the salt in, that has natural sugars, is healthier than cereal or bagel & something Mat can grab when he is running out to work in the morning.


Spiced Cornmeal Maple Banana Muffins

6 TBSP margarine or butter
1/2 cup real maple syrup
2 eggs
4 VERY ripe bananas
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, & baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 TBSP flax seed meal

Directions: In a large bowl blend margarine and maple syrup. Add eggs & bananas & blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients & stir to combine.
Pour batter into a greased 12 cup muffin tin OR a greased 6 cup muffin tin
Bake at 375 for 16-18 minutes.

* * *

Notes: This recipe can be easily doubled!

Whys & Whats: As you may have noticed, there is no granulated sugar in this recipe, the real maple syrup is the only sweetener. Also, the flaxseed meal, I pretty much add this to any baking I do, whether its cookies or cakes or muffins. Flaxseed meal is important over just plain flaxseeds because flaxseeds do not break down easily in our guts & we don't get as many of the heart-healthy benefits from it. Flaxseed meal allows our bodies to absorb the benefits of the flaxseed better.

Our Assessment: I'll be honest. I hate making new muffin recipes because SO often for me they end up sucking. This was a new one that worked perfectly from the first try. Mat enjoys them as well & the texture reminds us of ol fashioned bran muffins.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I'm totally gonna try making this...I'll just have to snag some maple syrup from the farmer's market next weekend. I love stocking my freezer with muffins for the mornings. :D

    ReplyDelete

love hearing from ya!