Tuesday

Cheaper, Greener, Healthier: Recipe

Rhubarb and I have really just met within the last few years. We always knew about each other, but never got together to do something. We were more 'acquaintances' than friends. But as the years have gone on, we began to notice that a lot of my friends are also Rhubarbs' friends...so it was kind of inevitable that we would become quite close.


Though Rhubarb and I are good buddies now, we still only see each other for a short time every year. Rhubarb will just all of a sudden pop by, stay for a while, and be gone again. For that reason I do my best to taken advantage of Rhubarb's visits and make the most out of them.

Here are two ways Rhubarb and I have a good time:

Rhubarb Muffins

2 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 beaten egg
2 cups finely chopped rhubarb

topping: 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Directions:
Grease muffins cups (either 12 small or 6 large)
In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add milk, vanilla, oil and egg.
Fold in rhubarb.
Pour batter into muffin cups.
Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly and sprinkle on top of muffins.
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

Whys & Whats: This may not be the super healthiest recipe, given the sugar...but muffin recipes are the sort of thing that are flexable. I tend to add ground flaxseed, wheat germ, and wheat bran to all my muffin recipes. I also use organic sugar cane and cut out the salt. Muffins seem to be very forgiving with experimenting.

Our Assessment: This recipe made me love rhubarb. I look forward to making it every year. DaddyOat likes it too, but even if he didn't I wouldn't care, I'd make it anyway.


Rhubarb Cake

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
sour milk (1 cup milk + 1 TBSP lemon juice or vinegar)

Topping: 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
In a small bowl mix dry ingredients.
In a large bowl cream butter, sugar, vanilla, milk, and egg.
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and combine well.
Fold in rhubarb.
Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a small bowl combine topping ingredients until crumbly.
Sprinkle over cake batter.
Bake at 325 for 40-50 minutes.

Whys and Whats: Again, not the healthiest recipe, but its healthier than any cake you'll buy at the grocery store or make from a box. And its a great way to use up that rhubarb in your garden!

Our Assessment: I actually promised to make this cake this past winter for a relative as long as they made me their famous pasta salad. He made the salad, knowing he would have to wait until May/June for his cake...that's how good this is!

* * *

What do you and Rhubarb do?

2 comments:

  1. Our rhubarb is ready for pickin' and I'll be trying out this cake recipe very shortly. Thanks Naomi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Cake is in the oven as we speak! *Fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete

love hearing from ya!